On Saturday, March 15 we went to Mission San Juan Capristrano for the Return of the Swallows celebration.
This mission was founded in 1776 by Junipero Serra, it's the seventh of 21 missions in California. In 1812 an earthquake destroyed most of the original structure, in the early 1900's restoration began.
Here we see the beautiful "bell wall" from the Sacred Garden.
The beautiful arches dominate the walkways.
Forty people who perished in the 1812 earthquake are buried in the mission's cemetary.
Anna and Sam are admiring the children's lovely traditional outfits before their performances for the celebration.
Sam especially liked this performance by kindergartners dressed as colorful animals, swaying to the tune of the "Chicken Dance". They might have startled the migrating swallows, which we did not see that day.
Flower hats, hurray!
We enjoyed the lovely buildings and lush gardens, it was a memorable day.