MinaG

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Japan! Day 4, Part 1 : Engaku-ji Temple in Kamakura

The last time I visited Kamakura, home of the bronze Buddha statue, was almost 20 years ago, when Steve and I were teaching in Japan. I knew this quiet city known for temples and shrines would be a nice contrast to Tokyo. It took less than one hour to get there by train. We first got off at Kita-Kamakura station and came across Engaku-ji Temple. To quote the kids' words from their Japan scrapbooks:

Sam: It was a long walk to Kamakura, but a peaceful one, too. We saw lots of trees and temples. (And noisy ferrets!) Temples are so cool! All their detail is very beautiful. I wonder how long to make a temple? No matter how big or small, temples are one of the coolest things I saw.

Anna: Kamakura reminded me of an old ghost town that has been forgotten. We took long walks and had to stay on the rock trail, of course!


















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home