MinaG

Monday, May 04, 2009

OC Marathon 2009

Special thanks to:
Mari: water sherpa/photographer/movie maker/cheering squad
Rob: best running mate and fan-getter
Yumi and Mama: babysitters extraordinaire
Marilyn and Ted: creator of motivational marathon album
Family and friends: kindest words and huge support

On May 3rd, Steve and I ran in our first marathon. We prepared by training from the end of January until a couple days before the race, usually running 3 days a week. The marathon day started with us getting up at 4:00 a.m., then Yumi arrived at our house at 4:30 a.m. We arrived at the O.C. Fairgrounds, parked our car and rode in a shuttle bus to Fashion Island, we were at the start by 5:15 a.m., the race started at 6:30 a.m.


The OC Marathon took us from Newport Beach with views of the ocean, and the Back Bay Loop. At the Back Bay, my former principal Katie was there to cheer me on! Several miles later, at mile 16.5, course supporters Mari and Rob were there to motivate us and refresh our fluid bottles. I was clumsier with my handoff than Steve was.


Here's Rob handing off my bottles at mile 16.5, South Coast Plaza. The course did provide Powerade and water but we carried the sports drink we trained with.


(Whoosh! Mari, go go go!)


I've heard more than once (from Steve) that when running a marathon, you have to think of the first 20 miles as the first half, and the last 6 as the second half. No joke. Those last 6 were killer, somehow my body kept on auto-pilot despite the pain (and blisters) and the legs kept moving. By mile 23 at the Santa Ana River Trail, I was so happy to see Rob again, all ready to run with me to the end.


There's Steve, all intense and ready for the finish line.


Right when you think you can't run another step, it's amazing how motivational it can be to see the final stretch, and to hear the cheers of the crowd.


I'm sure Steve felt the same way!


We did it! Our first marathon! Let's line up for the free massage!


Happy, relieved. Steve is already considering another marathon in the near future. I think I may stick to the shorter distances.

Notes:
-I'd recommend the OC Marathon to anyone considering a half or full marathon, gorgeous views, varying terrain. It is a bit hilly, and we mainly trained on flat courses, so that did make it more challenging.
-The first half of the race was more crowded, with half-marathoners and full-marathoners. From mile 12 on, where the 26-milers went on a different route, it was sparse with runners, and definitely became much more of a mental challenge.
-Steve and I only trained up to 20 miles, neither of us had run beyond that distance.

2 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger Tami Wyatt said...

Congratulations to you..That is really an accomplishment. I don't know how you did it. I don't think I could run 26 miles for any reason...even if my Keanu was waiting for me at the finish line!

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger marirob said...

great job! i am so proud of both of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home